Print Page | Close Window

Update: f150-want a small lift on any ideas?

Printed from: ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc.
Topic URL: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31249
Printed on: 04/20/2019

Topic:

Topic author: sydngoose
Subject: Update: f150-want a small lift on any ideas?
Posted on: 02/21/2010 11:04:50
Hey all, I just got an 08 F150 5.4 triton, 2WD supercrew Lariot package. My question is this: there is the factory rake on her now with the rear being 1-2 in. taller than the front.
Should I get bilstein 5100 leveling shocks to level her, or 2 and 1/2 in hell bent steel leveling kit for front, or what other ideas?
My goal is to give her just one inch above factory FX4 which is about 2 in. taller in stance. I definetly want her leveled. But, I'm getting so many mixed reviews about which approach.
Do not want to sacrifice quality of ride, durability of vehicle, factory warranty, safety or too much towing capacity. I don't off road, she's a pavement/ boat ramp queen. Just want a little more umph in stance. But, not obnoxious.

decided to go w/ Hell Bent Steel 2 and 1/2 in leveling kit. ALMOST perfect. Now she sits exactly 1 in. taller in the front. But, love the drive stance, much to my delight:

Replies:

Reply author: NJCoastie
Replied on: 02/21/2010 12:11:02
I have bilstien 5100's on my Titan. They are set at the 1" (middle position) I got 2.25 inches lift out of that when first installed. I don't know if they have sagged any since. But I definately wouldn't go to the highest lift setting. They would ride like crap if I did.

If you are not familiar with coil springs and struts I would not reccomend going this route. I had what i thought to be good spring compressors that I absolutely destroyed doing this job. Very dangerous.

I would say get the spacer on top of the strut if they have it for Fords and the job will take 1-1.5 hrs.

Reply author: sydngoose
Replied on: 02/21/2010 12:24:02
Thanks, NJ: Did the bilstein's give your titan a taller stance? or just level the front? did you leave your rear stock? what do you think of hell bent steel spacers? Warrantied for life, 2 and 1/2 in would level the truck:

Hell Bent Steel leveling lift spacers are a fast, safe and inexpensive way to bring the front of your truck level with the rear. These all-steel spacers are made from high quality steel using state of the art processes. HBS spacers are guaranteed to maintain the factory ride quality of your Ford F-150. Hell Bent Steel offers a lifetime guarantee on the design and construction of all HBS products. In any side-by-side comparison, it is easy to see the superior quality of HBS products over the competition.

http://www.hellbentsteel.com/

Reply author: NJCoastie
Replied on: 02/21/2010 12:32:52
I left the rear alone. It almost leveled it. I am maybe half and inch too low.

Those spacers look good to me. Just make sure you use some red locktite when putting the studs and nuts on.

Replied on: 02/21/2010 12:35:38
check mate and thanks!

Reply author: Raybo Marine NY
Replied on: 02/21/2010 12:38:28
level the front and leave it alone, use what you can that does not increase stiffness.

I leveled the front of my superduty and added 600lb to compensate for my plow, made the truck look cooler but it also made it ride rougher.

once you start messing with these thing you ruin the ride

Replied on: 02/21/2010 12:43:57
Thanks, Raybo. I am inclined to agree. I think I'm going to order the HBS kit and just level the front to match the rear. To reiterate, I have no desire to jack her up, nor decrease the comfort...just want a little stouter stance..she rides like a dream.

HEY NJ: since I've got you on the line, recognize my screensaver on my laptop? It's been on the wallpaper for about 7 weeks now...since I got back from my "blue dolphin" let down... Inspired.

Reply author: SharKBait
Replied on: 02/21/2010 15:45:48
Dude i can walk you threw doing a leveling kit and a lift . for maybe 100-150 bucks total..

Reply author: ChuckB
Replied on: 02/21/2010 17:56:03
I put Bilstein 5100's on my 2WD '06 Tundra and I am very pleased. I went with middle setting which raised front almost 1.5" (almost level) and I honestly do not believe I have sacrificed anything with the ride - still very smooth. I didn't do anything to the rear. Like you just wanted a level truck.

Shocks were about $200 and I found local truck performance shop that installed for $80. After nightmare I've heard about spring compressions and a 2 man 3+ hr job that $80 was a no brainer.

Reply author: doghouse241
Replied on: 02/21/2010 18:06:44
I just bought a 3" spacer /leveling kit for my 05 f150 4x4 off ebay its steel I haven installed yet but it was around 70$ shipped I wanted mine to sit a lil higher in the front than the back. Oo it also has a lifetime warranty. Iv installed them before and liked them alot

Reply author: Stroken
Replied on: 04/10/2010 13:55:29
quote:
Originally posted by doghouse241

I just bought a 3" spacer /leveling kit for my 05 f150 4x4 off ebay its steel I haven installed yet but it was around 70$ shipped I wanted mine to sit a lil higher in the front than the back. Oo it also has a lifetime warranty. Iv installed them before and liked them alot

Some how I missed this entire topic 2 months ago, truck looks really good!

Reply author: doghouse241
Replied on: 04/10/2010 18:16:33

Here's how mine came out after the leveling kit and some 285/75/r17 goodyear duratrac wranglers wish I woulda went a few sizes bigger but they said this was the biggest I could go with out rubbing the fenders

Replied on: 04/11/2010 18:24:13
My brother has a 06 Linclon Mark LT with a leveling kit and 325/XX/18R and it looks good, I imagin it rubs, but Ill have to get a picture of it.

Replied on: 04/11/2010 19:13:02
Yea, Tim, I was wondering why you didn't chime in 2 months ago as this seems to be right up your ally!~ I bet I could still drive my f150 between the tires of your jack'd up jewel!

Replied on: 04/11/2010 22:08:29
quote:
Originally posted by sydngoose

Yea, Tim, I was wondering why you didn't chime in 2 months ago as this seems to be right up your ally!~ I bet I could still drive my f150 between the tires of your jack'd up jewel!

Just about. How are you liking it so far.

ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. : http://www.classicmako.com/forum/

© Louisiana Web Host, LLC.

Close Window