E150 rear end w/rumbling noise and vibration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wellcraft

USA
1201 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  19:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 02 e150 convertion van with 90k miles, I have been noticing that recently when I go to take a turn (left or right) on dry pavement, when I applying power, like turning into my driveway or get into another street, I can feel a rumbling noise and vibration in the rear end of the van (it feels like if I were slowly spinning the wheels on pavement). Everything started happening after I went to Ohio to pick up a 24 travel trailer that weighs about 4000 pounds (about 1500 miles round trip), I've never felt it before when towing the trailer for the first time. It gets worst when towing but when I'm going straight I don't feel anything, it only happens in turns, loaded and unloaded. This is not a 4wd vehicle. I check the differential oil level and is fine, the color is amber. I tried to check the u joints but I have no idea on what to look there.
What could be the problem?

JR

1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Edited by - wellcraft on 02/18/2009 20:11:07

ob1jeeper
Chief Engineer

USA
5939 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  21:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the diff is a limited slip, and the clutches are chattering.

Try draining off approx 8 oz of fluid, and adding a bottle 9or two) of friction modifier to the axle fluid. You can buy this at any auto parts store.

Once you've added the fluid, find a parking lot, and drive approx 3-5 slow (5 mph or less) figure 8's to mix the modifier with the fluid, and get it circulated in to the clutch pack of the diff.

Working for a livin' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...
Go to Top of Page

ralph50

USA
861 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  12:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't give as much info. as OB1 but it does sound like clutches in the limited slip.

1971 Angler 17
2000 Johnson 150
Miami, Fl
Go to Top of Page

t-bone
Pork Chop

USA
4263 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  12:59:24  Show Profile  Visit t-bone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ob1, I agree with your diagnosis but I am curious about your cure. You suggest just draining a portion of the fluid and replacing it with the friction modifier. Are you suggesting that the modifier breaks down after time and needs to be replenished? Or with age it needs more than it had to start? With 90k don't you think it is time for a complete change of the fluid?

Todd

Mako 22b, Lost to hurricane irene and a 4' oak tree

Annapolis, MD
Go to Top of Page

wellcraft

USA
1201 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting friction modifier today, I was thinking in doing an oil change but the oil looks like it was change recently. I bought the van last September and I don't have any idea if they did change the differential oil. I been doing a search and most people recommend to add the FM. I'm hoping that I can solve the problem with that so I don't have to spend in overhauling the differential.

JR

Go to Top of Page

ob1jeeper
Chief Engineer

USA
5939 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  21:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t-bone

ob1, I agree with your diagnosis but I am curious about your cure. You suggest just draining a portion of the fluid and replacing it with the friction modifier. Are you suggesting that the modifier breaks down after time and needs to be replenished? Or with age it needs more than it had to start? With 90k don't you think it is time for a complete change of the fluid?

Todd

I would agree that 90 K fluid that's causing clutch chatter should be changed... However, his comment that the fluid was amber in color told me right off, that it had bee recently changed as no axle fluid with 90K is gonna still be amber in color.

My best guess is that whoever changed the fluid last, did not add the required friction modifier...

Go to Top of Page

t-bone
Pork Chop

USA
4263 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  07:34:27  Show Profile  Visit t-bone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would agree that 90 K fluid that's causing clutch chatter should be changed... However, his comment that the fluid was amber in color told me right off, that it had bee recently changed as no axle fluid with 90K is gonna still be amber in color.

My best guess is that whoever changed the fluid last, did not add the required friction modifier...

Ahh, the color, the devil is always in the details. I did think about the color and the fact that it indicated the fluid was not burned or in bad shape but didn't follow the process through far enough that it also meant new fluid. Thanks for learnin' me on this one.

Todd

Mako 22b, Lost to hurricane irene and a 4' oak tree

Annapolis, MD

Edited by - t-bone on 02/20/2009 07:42:10
Go to Top of Page

wellcraft

USA
1201 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  09:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help guys, I added friction modifier to the differential last Friday and thankfully I don't feel or hear anything back there. What a difference.

JR

Go to Top of Page

ob1jeeper
Chief Engineer

USA
5939 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  00:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wellcraft

Thanks for the help guys, I added friction modifier to the differential last Friday and thankfully I don't feel or hear anything back there. What a difference.

Cool beans... Glad to be able to help out...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07