Boot Stripe Ideas (Mud and Blood)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slapout

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  13:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am considering adding a boot stripe or two to my 201 and I wanted to poll the audience for advice. My idea is to add a teal stripe about 1.5" wide just above the waterline and possibly a smaller stripe maybe 3/4" just above that. I like the idea of it sweeping up the bow. I have seen some that maintain the same spacing from the bottom edge (sorry don't know the terminology) as it sweeps up the bow and some that follow the water line and then run up the bottom edge. As you can see there is no bottom paint so I've got a clean slate to work with. Any ideas or pictures would be appreciated.

95 MAKO 201
73 Montgomery Ward Sea King 13.5
Slapout, AL

Edited by - Slapout on 04/20/2009 10:14:29

williemilkem

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  19:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO a boat looks great on the trailer with sweeping stripes to follow the (chine?). I also think it looks better in the water with the stripes matching the water line. I know this does not help you but I wanted to throw in my opinion. I will be running into this problem soon myself. I think as of now I would sweep the lines only if I carried the bottom paint up to follow it. If I stay even with the line then the entire hull above the stripe will be the same. I am talking about the area in the front by the bow eye that is under that first (chine?).

Proud member of the
I.B.E.W. local827

Keith,
franklin, new jersey
1989 mako 250WA
2007 twin 150 etecs

Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  21:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I did:

I don't have the measurements handy, but I want to say he took 1 1/2 inch wide boot striping and cut it down in a boot stripe cutting machine and made the dual lines.

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

ChuckB
Good Luck Chuck

USA
10377 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  22:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's you a perfect example. Follow the lines of the boat with 2 stripes of different size with the larger on the bottom .

'82 224 - Mobile, AL
Project Boats - Eric Nelson's 224
Repowered w/'04 Evinrude DI 200
Pulled by Space Shuttle Towing TUNDRA.

Transom and bottom - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31915

Go to Top of Page

wobbet60
FreeDiver

USA
2204 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  22:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pix. My boot stripe ends near the transom b/c it used to read "REEL DEAL YACHTS." It was something the brokerage firm did to all of their vessels.

'03 Contender 23 Open, 250 HPDI

UPTIGHT
'94 Mako 211 Classic, 250 OX66 --SOLD--

Miami
[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/wobbet60/media/Contender%2023/S5031021.jpg.html]
Go to Top of Page

WallyJohn

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  22:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am planning on doing exactly the same stripe as MakoShako has! I also like it following the waterline with a sweeping curve along the chine. Mine will be painted Aqua Mist above and white below... Can't wait to see what you decide!!!

Wally
"Budget Bu$ter" - FOR SALE
1978 Mako 232 center console w/twin Suzuki DF140 Four Strokes on a HermCo bracket!!
Bay City, Michigan

email me at: WallyJohn442<at>Gmail<dot>com

My project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31555

Lots of good stuff FOR SALE at: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24099

Milling Projects: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34237

Trips:
Indian River, Michigan - http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34112
Go to Top of Page

mrdelgado
GQ

USA
4824 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  00:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slapout

I am considering adding a boot stripe or two to my 201 and I wanted to poll the audience for advice. My idea is to add a teal stripe about 1.5" wide just above the waterline and possibly a smaller stripe maybe 3/4" just above that. I like the idea of it sweeping up the bow. I have seen some that maintain the same spacing from the bottom edge (sorry don't know the terminology) as it sweeps up the bow and some that follow the water line and then run up the bottom edge. As you can see there is no bottom paint so I've got a clean slate to work with. Any ideas or pictures would be appreciated.

1.5" and 3/4" are thick stripes. My advise would be to buy different width masking tape and lay it down to give yourself a visual, experiment with different combos on the boat. My stripes are 1/2" and 3/4"

Michael R. Delgado
1972 Mako 22
http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745
1976 Mako 25
http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25

Go to Top of Page

TUNA

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  08:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow the water line. If the the hull was 2 tone then following the chine rail would look good. plus how many sportfishing boats do you see with the boot following the chine. just an opinion.

Tim Bausch
21-24 MAKO "FINAL APPROACH"
STUART, FL.
Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

Sailor
Social Chairman

USA
8221 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  14:04:03  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TUNA

Follow the water line. If the the hull was 2 tone then following the chine rail would look good. plus how many sportfishing boats do you see with the boot following the chine. just an opinion.

I agree. I am not a fan of the boot strip or bottom paint following the chine. Clean and uncluttered is much more classy. The only exception is if the boat is painted two tone such as MakoShark's boat and then it's necessary to soften the paint edge.

Slap-out - are you going to bottom paint your boat? If not, I would put some tape on there as mrdelgado suggested so you can decide if you like it.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Do you use PHOTOBUCKET?
http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50853
Go to Top of Page

Steelnblue

318 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  14:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sailor quote "I agree. I am not a fan of the boot strip or bottom paint following the chine. Clean and uncluttered is much more classy. The only exception is if the boat is painted two tone such as MakoShark's boat and then it's necessary to soften the paint edge."

Agree, but you can also use clear coat to soften the paint edges, don't feel bound to stripe to soften edges, striping not always neccessary

John
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Go to Top of Page

Stroken
Mississippi Mayhem

USA
7056 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  21:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrdelgado

quote:
Originally posted by Slapout

1.5" and 3/4" are thick stripes. My advise would be to buy different width masking tape and lay it down to give yourself a visual, experiment with different combos on the boat. My stripes are 1/2" and 3/4"

Just remember, Once that sticker is on there there is a great chance its never coming off again. My uncles 224 has a horrible 1/2 a sticker left that we cant get off

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford

A TAX PAYER WHO VOTED FOR BARACK OBAMA IS LIKE A CHICKEN VOTING FOR COLONEL SANDERS!!

View My Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203

Go to Top of Page

Slapout

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  13:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the input guys. Y'all really got me thinking about this idea. My original thought was a double stripe just like Makoshako's 22, exactly. I have made a poor attempt to imitate it with some painters tape and I don't have the waterline just right. I used 1" and .5" tape which would indeed look better than 1.5" and .75". Since I don't have or plan to have bottom paint or a two tone paint scheme, I thought the stripe would set it off. Now, I'm not so sure. For now, I'll leave it clean and white. That is, until I get down to Apalachicola next weekend!

95 MAKO 201
Slapout, AL
Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  08:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will measure mine this weekend, but out of all of the money I have spent on my 22', getting a "professional" to apply the bootstripe, was the best money spent so far. He had the material, the cutter and applied it ... perfectly. I have no idea how they do it so good, but getting the lines right is key. I seem to remember that it cost me $125, which might be low. I did not complain and did give a $25 tip ... I think ... its been a couple of years now.

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

Slapout

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  10:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You definitely got your money's worth. Your boot stripe looks great! I gave a copy of the picture to the body shop owner that would be installing it. If I decide to add the stripe, there is absolutely no way I would attempt it myself. Just working with that painter's tape was almost impossible to keep looking right. He's done a good many and actually owns two center consoles himself.

95 MAKO 201
Slapout, AL
Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent a good amount of time just measuring for where to put the paint tape, which was 1" wide for the two tone paint job. I figured that if I use 1 1/2" boot stripe that would cover the non painted part up. He came close to my lines while straitening my lousy job. It ended up looking better than I had hoped for. Thanks.

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

CalmC

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  23:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt this one slipped by, I'll snap some pics over the weekend and post them.

1996 Mako 201, Yamaha 200 SWS II
Valley Stream, NY.

Go to Top of Page

CalmC

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  21:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pics.

Valley Stream, NY.

Go to Top of Page

l_bones

Bahamas
1369 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  11:52:08  Show Profile  Visit l_bones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just curious as to where you got the green rub rail?

do you think there is a green rubrail out there with a rope insert?

L_Bones
Nassau, Bahamas
'82 Mako 21 - '98 200HP Merc
Go to Top of Page

CalmC

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  20:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Bones saw a rub rail segment on ship shape, this company was featured http://www.barbourcorp.com.

Valley Stream, NY.

Go to Top of Page

Raybo Marine NY
Rob

USA
8745 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  07:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Raybo Marine NY's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally do not like the stripe following the chine, especially on a bottom painted boat

Lindenhurst, New York

www.raybomarine.com
Go to Top of Page

Slapout

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  14:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee, The teal green rub rail is original to the boat. I've seen a few others with the same color but they are rare.

95 MAKO 201
Slapout, AL
Go to Top of Page

Slapout

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got to take the boat down to the coast for the first time. We've been planning this trip since January so we were happy to see the weather forecast didn't call for rain...again. Unfortunately, the rain over the past few weeks wreaked havoc on Apalachicola Bay and the water was extremely muddy. If anybody is contemplating bottom paint or a boot stripe and needs to mark their waterline, Apalach is the place to go. Can you say hull cleaner?
For now I plan to leave the hull clean and white. It's just one more thing to keep clean.

Since the Gulf was too rough, we were limited to inshore only. We managed to catch a few fish and finally got some blood on the deck. A friend on mine just got finished restoring his 73 Mako 22 so this was his first splash too. He's been lurking on this site but hasn't joined yet.

By the way, we stayed at Bay City Lodge and most of the guides run old Makos for their charter business. I've never seen so many Makos in one place. The boats aren't pretty but they all claim to be the best out there. I, for one am hooked on Mako!

95 MAKO 201
Slapout, AL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07