Fuel Sender Replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MomentSurf

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  19:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking into replacing my rear fuel sender. Its working, but I have it rigged up (alligator clips on the rotted out connections). The gauge jumps around depending on how well the clips are making contact (if the boat is in chop or rocking ect).

The front gauge is working great (seems like it was replaced at some time). It also has a manual reading on the sender unit itself (I would like to install one like that in the rear as well...I like the redundancy).

My rear gauge is the issue. The connections on the sending unit are extremely rotted. (It was under water for a while with some soaked foam surrounding it - I have since dried the foam out and the area around the rear sending unit is dry).
Two issues...

One - what type of sending unit do I need (size, type ect.) How deep is my tank on a '78 23' cc with an 84 gallon rear tank??

Two, and the bigger issue...
The access to the sending unit is through a 6" round deck hatch inside the center console. When looking straight into the 6" round access hole, the gauge is just barely out of that immediate circle. There is about 5-6" between the deck and the top of the tank. Will I be able to lift the sender unit out before it hits the bottom of the deck (will I be able to angle it out? and get a new one in?)

See pic below...I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job describing this in words...a picture will speak a thousand words!

If I can't get the unit out through the access hole the way it lays now, I would have to remove my center console to cut a bigger access. I'm hoping this is not the case...but why was the front gauge changed out and not the rear...was someone avoiding the hard work or was the rear gauge ok when the front went bad...hmmmm?

Edited by - MomentSurf on 09/07/2010 23:01:06

Shortfin19Seventy

USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  12:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Shortfin19Seventy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the looks of your illustration, I think most senders shouldn't be a problem removing. It depends on the depth of the tank, and the type of sender. What kind of gauges do you have? I just replaced two senders for VDO gauges that have the little mechanical gauge on top of the sender. The electric sender I bought to replace it did not work with the gauge. I have since replaced both senders and gauges with Stewart Warner, and am very pleased with the quality of both.

Long Island, NY

1970 Mako 19 *Under Construction*

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25474

Go to Top of Page

sunshinetanks

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  17:49:04  Show Profile  Visit sunshinetanks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello There!
Your sending unit- if original, SHOULD come out through the access you have. The only problem you may run into is- HOW to unscrew the one that's there now, if you can't access the entire unit.

Traditionally, the senders are universal. Not only in Volts, but OHMS, and they work with MOST receivers. It gets a little tricky when dealing with the likes of VDO's or other manufacturers that have rigged their senders to work ONLY with their receivers. (Smart aren't they?)

The tank depth- judging from your make,model, and capacity is probably no deeper than 14"-17". IF you have a traditional swing-arm float, you can angle it to take it out. The problem is removing the one you have, and replacing it- with a similar swing arm float. They aren't the best senders, but they've been used FOREVER!

Hope this information is helpful.

Gina
TankGirl
Sunshine Marine Tanks, Inc.
Miami, Fl.
Go to Top of Page

MomentSurf

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  18:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shortfin - I'm not sure what type of gauges I have...I'll have to look next time I'm near the boat.

Sunshine -
Below is the sending unit on my front tank. I know its not original, but its working with my original gauge. I want to get one like this (any idea of what type or make it is?)

This is my rear sending unit. I'm guessing its original. My two gauges on the console are matching gauges and they look original. I'm hoping I get the same type sending unit I have on my front tank.

Two other questions...who does everyone prefer to order this type of stuff from (selection ect). Also, Should I use a specific sealant to seal the sending unit to the tank...or is just the gasket ok?

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

MomentSurf

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A view straight down into the access for my rear sender:

My guage...any clue of what 'type' or make it is?

Any opinions on the other Q's??

Go to Top of Page

Justin
Fortune Favors the Bold

USA
3258 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have any specific input on this except to say that I have the same boat and my fwd sender works while my rear doesnt so I will be watching your procedure closely

ROGUE I
1978 235 CC
Newburyport, MA
ROGUE II
1987 17' Montauk
Camden, ME
Go to Top of Page

dtmackey
Instigator

USA
6130 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  14:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look into WEMA sending units. They are very reliable and you may be able to get it around that edge much easier. IMHO they are far better than the old fashioned float on an arm.

http://www.wemausa.com/specifications/specSSS.htm

D-

Current 3 Boats - 2000 Nordic Tug 32 w/210 Cummins. 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. -1974 13' Whaler http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19447
- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Go to Top of Page

sunshinetanks

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  15:28:49  Show Profile  Visit sunshinetanks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're in luck... it so happens I DO KNOW the type of senders you have.
(1)FRONT SENDER - with the dial, actually appears not original. The original sender from back then had an even BIGGER DIAL. I can tell you it's at LEAST 8-10 years old. They don't even make those anymore. They do offer a newer version of it. The manufacturer is Rochester Gauges. But you can't order directly, as they require minumums, and only sell to OEM's. The sender is known in the industry as a "Dual" function Mechanical sender.
Because it does both functions. You can hook it up to a receiver, and you can look at the direct read dial thru an access as well.
(2)REAR SENDER - Kyser Medallion electric sender.(may say Tempo on it- but made by Kyser) Little known fact- they stopped making senders for tanks about 10 years ago. Also, no longer available, and looks original.

But don't you worry - you can order the current version of these senders from ANY marine retailer who carries senders. They are BOTH universal, and run 0-240 OHMs and 12 Volts. I'm not sure what area you are in, Lewis Marine retails these. The Dual sender is sold as a "Visual" sender (sight gauge) and they sell the capsule separately to make it DUAL function. The Visual Sender runs about $60.00> and the "conversion capsule" is roughly $60.00> as well. The ELECTRIC sender is around $40.00> They are BOTH known as swing-arm floats.
They offer a more accurate sender known as a "vertical" float, however, although better; it WON'T work with the limited access you have. It requires the entire depth of the tank OA height clearance.
If you have any other questions- you can call me (305)805-9898 M-F 9:00am-2:30pm in Miami.

Also, it appears that with the right screw driver, although the hatch is offset; you MAY Be able to pull that rear sender through the access. BUT It DOESN'T look like it from the pictures. You need at least 3"> to pull the stem up, and out.
As for your receiver- it looks universal, and YES- it's OLD TOO!

I believe that armed with this information, you can START SHOPPING!
I don't stock visual senders- because there isn't a huge demand for them, but if you have trouble locating one; I can order it for you.
Go to Top of Page

sunshinetanks

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  15:30:07  Show Profile  Visit sunshinetanks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PS
I really like the color of your deck!
Go to Top of Page

Raybo Marine NY
Rob

USA
8744 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  15:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Raybo Marine NY's Homepage  Reply with Quote
most senders can be used with almost any gauge, the electrical over mechanical set up is pricey, pricey to where for a few dollars more you can buy yourself another fuel gauge if you replace the sender with a standard electrical one and it happens to not work.

Get a regular sender and I am sure you will be fine

Lindenhurst, New York

www.raybomarine.com
Go to Top of Page

MomentSurf

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  07:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of GREAT info! Thanks everyone. I'll be waiting until after the fall run to do this work. I'll be sure to update this post with pictures!!

One more question - should I remove the old sender before I buy the new one so I know how long it should be...or do I buy one that is the approx depth of my tank (only problem is, I have no clue how deep my tank is). And do I seal the new sender with any type of gasket maker (or just use the gasket that comes with the unit)?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Go to Top of Page

Shortfin19Seventy

USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  10:24:12  Show Profile  Visit Shortfin19Seventy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would remove the sender, and drop a yard stick down to measure the depth. I used to hate it when people dragged in fuel related components soaked in fuel, dripping all over my store.

All you need is the depth of the tank.

Long Island, NY

1970 Mako 19 *Under Construction*

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25474

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07