How to get best deal on new Mako???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matt4704

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  12:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just sold my SeaRay Sundancer 270 and am interested in the 2010 Mako 184cc. I saw it at my local Bass Pro and it comes with a T-top and 115 merc...The sales "kid" at bass pro new nothing about the Mako brand, boat,or if any end of year discounts.

Who can i call, or where can I go to get the best deal on a 184??

I would also like to ask if this 115 is enough to get out and fish off shore.. I just gave up a boat with (2) 454 Mercury gas SUCKING i/o's...

Thanks,
Matt

Titan_boat

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  12:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do yourself a favor and dont buy the mako, the new ones are junk, buy a seapro instead...jussayin'

TBGLLC

1992 -26 Celebrity
1972 -19' Mako 150 Suz.
old fj40....
Ocean Isle Beach,NC
Go to Top of Page

Texas 17

1436 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  12:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im going to agree. If you want a new boat, don't go Mako. If you want a Mako and you have new boat money to spend, find someone with an older Mako they have fixed up, and spend the money you save on a repower. The 17' Mako is one of the best designed boats ever built in that size range. There are a ton of them out there, and you can probably find one that will do everything you want for a lot less money. Put a new 140 Suzuki on it if you want speed, or a 2-stroke, 90 hp Yamaha if you want to fish shallow (I think they still make them, but even if not you can probably find one new in a crate somewhere), and have one of the best 16-18' boats on the water with brand new power.

Edit: and by the way, if you want to fish offshore, I would highly recommend looking up a few feet over 18'. If by offshore you mean more than a couple miles out the inlet on flat calm days, the next size up Mako I'd recommend would be the 21', and with newer power it will be far, far better on gas than your SeaRay.

You might also ask to have this thread moved to the discussion forum instead of classifieds.

Sold the 17', moved to FL... I need a new handle.

1989 Intrepid 246 WA
1973 Mako 17--sold with regrets
1992 Mako 17--started it all

Wellington, FL

Edited by - Texas 17 on 02/07/2011 15:06:12
Go to Top of Page

Broken Arrow

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt,
do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY A NEW MAKO, they are junk, and PB WILL NOT stand behind your boat
Find an older Mako boat and go thru it, You will find many years of enjoyment and a better resale down the road
Go to Top of Page

matt4704

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I this site quicly has showed me that Mako sucks! I had no clue....Sea pro is no longer...Sooooo where would you send a guy who wants a warranty on everything after a 14k repair on his last boat...What's a good entry level center console?

Edited by - matt4704 on 02/07/2011 16:05:14
Go to Top of Page

ChuckB
Good Luck Chuck

USA
10406 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt4704

Well, I this site quicly has showed me that Mako sucks! I guess I'll take a look at Sea Pro...

Slow down tubro. 3 posts are in no way a reflection of the site. The facts are this is a Classic Mako Site and most members have or desire the older "Original" "Classic" Mako's that were designed and built by the Schwebke family. Yes there is a partiality to the Classics and there is not a lot of good stuff said about newer Makos. I personally, and I bet many that are negative towards, have never been out on a newer Mako. The few members here that own or have owned (including 234 and 282) have been very pleased with their boats. The Bayboats are the same as Kenner boats and were well made boats. I have climbed on both at boat shows, being impressed with bayboats and not as impressed with blue water boats, but honestly I need perspective...Nobody in going to be impressed with a new Mako after climbing on Regulators, Grady Whites, etc..., but those boats are 3x's the money and in different class. As far as your question about buying a new Mako, this probably isn't the best place to ask because there are very very few members here buying any brand new boats, just read signatures of the members.

'82 224 - Mobile, AL
Project Boats - Eric Nelson's 224
Repowered w/'04 Evinrude DI 200
Pulled by Space Shuttle Towing TUNDRA.

Transom and bottom - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31915

Go to Top of Page

matt4704

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ChuckB... I could not find a newer model owners site and just figured they were on this one.
Go to Top of Page

leggomymako

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  19:43:34  Show Profile  Visit leggomymako's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forget about whether new Makos are good or not.

First and foremost there are no "deals" on new stuff. You may think you got a deal, but usually a deal is only on a boat that a dealer is having a hard time getting rid of. Which in turn means that you will have a hard time getting rid of it yourself if you decide to sell.

Do yourself a favor and buy a used boat. The guys on here can help you when it comes to checking it out...transom, floor, fuel tank, engine, etc.

I don't know where you are located, but here is an example of a possible great boat that is very popular. This is a 20' Deep Vee Mako made for only a few years. This one is about half the price of ones I've seen in the past. Even if you had to repower, you'd probably come out way ahead of buying a new Mako......check it out.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2192217482.html

1985 Mako 17, E-TEC 115
Statham, GA
Go to Top of Page

Sailor
Social Chairman

USA
8261 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  20:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is not a damn thing wrong with the new Makos...but they are NOT the boats that have a cult following on this site. Now their customer service may be another issue, but like ANY boat purchase is completely reliant on the local dealer. If you are considering a new Mako, I would go over the hull with a fine tooth comb - and I'd do that with ANY brand. Do you think Yellowfin is a good boat? I can put you in touch with one owner who sold a custom bay boat after six months solely because of the way the owner treated him.

If you like the boat buy it. Personally, there are way too many used boats on the market that are of superior construction, design and functionality to consider any new boat, unless you just want to be the boat's first owner.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Do you use PHOTOBUCKET?
http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50853
Go to Top of Page

Broken Arrow

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  04:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt, here was topic from 2004

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2513

Brad Jeffrey
Louisville Ky
Ft Walton Beach Fl

1991 261 Mako
"Broken Arrow"
2001 Jupiter 31
"Fins Up"
1986 254 Mako (Sold)
"Reel Latitude"
53 Bluewater
"IONU"
11 Whaler
Go to Top of Page

brando
Calendar Man

USA
4260 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  21:14:03  Show Profile  Visit brando's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a buddy who has a heck of a deal on a 2008 26 footer CC. Two sets of outriggers, combo sonor/chart, twin 250 mercs, and trailer for maybe around $35K. I am almost sure engine hours are way less than 100. He used it for a couple of hours in the bay behind ocean city flounder fishing. He had it in the ocean 1 time. I would love to buy it but I don't feel I can swing that much with two young kids at home.
Good Luck

1984 Mako 238 WA
200 Suzuki
Mercersburg PA/Ocean City MD
Check out my project
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081

Go to Top of Page

njfreediver

205 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  18:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went to a boat show this weekend and checked out the mako booth. and in all honesty, for the price, I was not impressed at all. I love my classic 19' but the new ones....not so much. my opinion. I was looking at some 21'ish cc and toying with the idea of buying a new one, and the only one I would buy, personally, is a sea hunt. I think they're the only "reasonably" priced new boat. and as far as function, its all there
Go to Top of Page

Titan_boat

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  19:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sailor i gotta disagree with ya'
If the price were lower, then its a quiet understanding your buying,in effect a Bayliner,but to market a boat under the guise of a "legend" and ask top price when in all reality, its of mediocre quality..then in my opinion..is junk.
among the substandard build design you have: screw's instead of thru bolts / poor quality vinyl / lousy wiring / hull flaws from molds used too much / cheap hatches and other hardware / lousy dealer support..among other things. Marine Max is now selling Mako, and MM has a lousy customer satisfaction record.so all in all my beef is with the previously mentioned method of marketing,this isnt the boat our daddy s loved.and as with many other great names -Chris Craft - Formula -Sea Ray ect...
The great name is associated with a lousy boat for the price.

TBGLLC

1992 -26 Celebrity
1972 -19' Mako 150 Suz.
old fj40....
Ocean Isle Beach,NC
Go to Top of Page

gmariano

76 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the boat show in AC this weekend. I don't pretend to have the knowledge that most do on this site, but I was really unimpressed with Mako. The new Makos look weak. Fit and finish terrible. I am not saying they are junk (because I really don't know) but they appear to be nothing more than a price point boat these days and there are other boats in that category that looked much, much nicer (i.e. Sea Hunt).

Gene
1996 Mako 17
Go to Top of Page

Titan_boat

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats exactly my point,if a regular 'ol boater can pick it apart..
I am by trade a contractor,and have dealt with many issues with the bayliner of houses: DR Horton and others where the bottom line is far more important than quality build. where the components that make up a house are bare bones minimum, HVAC / electrical /plumbing / doors & windows ect..if only an additional 15-20K were spent..one would have a decent home..but $$$ outweighs the reputation of excellent quality. slap a boat tougher using crappy parts and at a minimum build cost..then slap on a great brand name..and run with it, hoping people dont look to hard beyond the name.
DISCLAIMER- I'm not trashing Bayliner, just stating its an ENTRY level boat that knows it.

TBGLLC

1992 -26 Celebrity
1972 -19' Mako 150 Suz.
old fj40....
Ocean Isle Beach,NC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07