New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  23:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I Received my seastar hydraulic system in the mail. Just curious if there are any tricks, ideas, things I need to be aware of in preparation for installation. How about removal of the cable steering?

1986 Mako 224 , 06 Optimax 225
Silver City, NM

Edited by - Reel Effort on 04/14/2012 00:06:49

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  15:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I won't be doing too much in her today as it just started snowing here in New Mexico!

Silver City, NM
Go to Top of Page

TPG

1266 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  15:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reel Effort

Well I won't be doing too much in her today as it just started snowing here in New Mexico!

Keep it please, I'm enjoying 70 degrees up here in New England to work on my Mako.

1976 Mako 23IB
Padanaram, MA
Go to Top of Page

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bump. the weather is good now.

Silver City, NM
Go to Top of Page

michigan dave
Peacekeeper

USA
7532 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  20:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More than likely you will need to unbolt and lift your engine up off the transom to remove your cable steering unless you use a cutoff wheel and just sever the cable so you can pull it out of the tube. When you pull out the old cable up towards the front, also pull a good small rope to use as a puller for your new hoses. Make sure you have all your adapters for your style engine and cylinder..... then its plumbing... if it turns backwards, switch the hoses at either the helm or the cylinder..... good luck you wont have any problems... if you do the teleflex web site is awesome...

dave

1979m21 225johnson "blue dolphin" bought off this board and restored
with everyone's help!!Gone but not Forgotten....
1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone
1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone
1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone
1983 224 with closed transom and bracket
And 130 SOB (some other boats)
S.Haven MI>Columbus OH
Go to Top of Page

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  20:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michigan dave

More than likely you will need to unbolt and lift your engine up off the transom to remove your cable steering unless you use a cutoff wheel and just sever the cable so you can pull it out of the tube. When you pull out the old cable up towards the front, also pull a good small rope to use as a puller for your new hoses. Make sure you have all your adapters for your style engine and cylinder..... then its plumbing... if it turns backwards, switch the hoses at either the helm or the cylinder..... good luck you wont have any problems... if you do the teleflex web site is awesome...

dave

Dave-
Thanks for the response, I'm confused why I would have to lift the engine off. I thought it would be a basic disconnect than install. I don't have the equipment to lift the engine. I suppose if my wife helps me I could lift the engine with both of us lifting; it can't weigh more than 645lbs, just kidding.
Is there something I'm not seeing with this process? It is the original steering system and I thought I could disconnect the cable at the helm and pull it through the tube.
I may sound stupid.

Does the shaft on here thread off? or is this what you are refering to that needs cut off?

Silver City, NM

Edited by - Reel Effort on 04/19/2012 20:52:04
Go to Top of Page

ob1jeeper
Chief Engineer

USA
5877 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  22:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

dave

Dave-
Thanks for the response, I'm confused why I would have to lift the engine off. I thought it would be a basic disconnect than install. I don't have the equipment to lift the engine. I suppose if my wife helps me I could lift the engine with both of us lifting; it can't weigh more than 645lbs, just kidding.
Is there something I'm not seeing with this process? It is the original steering system and I thought I could disconnect the cable at the helm and pull it through the tube.
I may sound stupid.

Does the shaft on here thread off? or is this what you are refering to that needs cut off?

From the photo, it is easy to see that your's is high enough already to access the cable attach nuts... Dave was recalling a number of his adventures, where these were NOT accessible...
Go to Top of Page

weir mako 21
Fire-Maine-iac

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  06:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you pull the old cable out take Dave's idea x2 and pull a couple "pull ropes" through the chase....one to pull the hydraulic lines and one to use when the first rope comes disconnected and pulls free. You'll have to fill and bleed the system. There is a fill hose that screws into the help pump with a hose attached. It screws onto the neck of the hydraulic fluid bottle. I took one of the bottles and cut the bottom off then zip tied it to the top corner of my windshield above the helm upside down. I can then pour more fluid in as the level goes down without changing bottles. I added a length of hose over the bleeders at the motor and run them into an old peanut butter jar to catch the "bleed" fluid without making a mess (I actually put the jar in a low bucket to try to catch the inevitable drops). A lot of this is on the website, and I can post pictures if I'm not making sense. Not hard just a little time and a huge improvement.
-John

Weir Mako 21
1985 21B
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32089

Edited by - weir mako 21 on 04/20/2012 06:46:33
Go to Top of Page

gw204

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  06:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the engine cutout isn't large enough to allow you to slide the cable out of the tilt tube. The cable doesn't bend enough to give you the necessary clearance to get the rigid end out. Looks to me like you have plenty of room though.

Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1981 Mako 17
Go to Top of Page

makorider

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  08:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You DO NOT have to bleed the system from the stern. You can do it from the helm.

Do get the hose attatchment that screws into the bottle and helm.

Put a pinhole in the bottom of the bottle and hang/hold it upside down.

Turn the wheel to the pin. Come back 3/4 to a full turn and back to the pin.

Repeat a few times, then do the other side.

Then back to the original side. Keep repeating until you see no air bubbles rolling up the fill tube.

Clean and EASY, and fully bled.

1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs
Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ

Edited by - makorider on 04/20/2012 08:56:08
Go to Top of Page

michigan dave
Peacekeeper

USA
7532 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  10:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather you can pull out the cable depends also on the angle of the cable/tube in relation to the opening where the cable exits the boat. Unless you going to re-use the cable, I often cut them after I slide it as far as I can. Then push or pull out any part that is left in the tube. Hopefully yours will just slide right out.....

dave

1979m21 225johnson "blue dolphin" bought off this board and restored
with everyone's help!!Gone but not Forgotten....
1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone
1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone
1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone
1983 224 with closed transom and bracket
And 130 SOB (some other boats)
S.Haven MI>Columbus OH
Go to Top of Page

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  13:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Weather you can pull out the cable depends also on the angle of the cable/tube in relation to the opening where the cable exits the boat. Unless you going to re-use the cable, I often cut them after I slide it as far as I can. Then push or pull out any part that is left in the tube. Hopefully yours will just slide right out.....

dave

Is there any use for a steering cable that is the original one from a 1986 224?
I'm having trouble with the large nuts on the motor to disconnect it, are there any tricks to this project

Silver City, NM
Go to Top of Page

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  14:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

dave

Is there any use for a steering cable that is the original one from a 1986 224?
I'm having trouble with the large nuts on the motor to disconnect it, are there any tricks to this project

One other question, I recall when I installed our new steering wheel 6 yrs ago that I had to have a gear puller to get the old one off. Is there another method besides with a gear puller, I am lazy and don't want to drive to town to get another tool

Silver City, NM
Go to Top of Page

Wildman

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  15:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Wildman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Because you are replacing it and it probably wont fit the taper on your new helm anyhow, just try smacking it with a rubber hammer. You may luck out because you recently put it on and it might not be totally corroded yet.
There isnt much use for a used steering cable, use a large pipe wrench to pop the lock nuts off the ends. Make sure you unbolt the intermediate arm between the cable end and the steering arm first as that will trip ya up some.

Patrick from Cape Cod MA

Its a Sandbar lifestyle

RIPPLE
1972 Seacraft 23 Hermco bracket, Honda 250 engine, Birsall Ttop and leaning post, a few other goodies.

Seacraft Build thread:
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=34709#243989

Old wet MAKO

Build thread:
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26118
Go to Top of Page

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  16:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got the cables disconnected, I just need to cut the ends off as soon as I find my hack saw.
The original helm is removed as shown here, the white 'offset' is what was on there with the steerig wheel.

Here is what it looks like with nothing, the hole is big and the already existing holes don't match the new black helm pump:

Here is with the helm pump in place or atleast it shows what it would look like with the angle.

Now i turned the 'offset' piece upside down. the small part of it would have to be removed if used. I am showing this as I am wondering if it would be best to use it this way so the axis of the pump is 'up' somewhat

Should I consider putting some starboard over the hole and redrill? I am not wanting to do glass work because I am already into the fishing season and I really don't know how.
Any suggestions on how to move forward with this part of the project?
THanks
Mitch

Silver City, NM
Go to Top of Page

smills

304 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  17:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just used the larger part and mounted the Hydralic pump over it. It will work. Or it did on mine.

1986 231 92 Yamaha 200 Fort Walton Beach FL.
Go to Top of Page

Reel Effort

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  17:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smills

I just used the larger part and mounted the Hydralic pump over it. It will work. Or it did on mine.

Does anyone have a pic of the seastar ram on their Opti 225? I want to check on something as the diretions seem weird or perhaps I'm missing a plastic spacer.

Silver City, NM

Edited by - Reel Effort on 04/29/2012 19:32:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07