Mako Discussion
 Broken Weld on T Top. Please Help.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnGrade

252 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  21:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for a little insight. I dont know if it happened during hurricane issac or what, but put the boat in, was running through the bay when I hit a wake, nothing new, and heard an odd pop noise. one of the smaller horizontal pipes broke a weld. I'll be bringing it in to get fixed and beefed up, but I was told I needed to have all the wires pulled out of the tower before it can be welded on. no wires run through the pipe that the weld broke on, and they dont run through where the gussets I want to have put on. This would mean both am/fm, vhf antennas, radio, cd player, speakers, forward and aft spreaders, and the gps antenna. Does anyone else find this a little odd? Why cant you just weld it without pulling wires?

1990 261 twin 2001 HPDI 200
"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.

Sailor
Social Chairman

USA
8378 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  21:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wires could melt if they are not pulled, so that is why the welder doesn't want o take responsibility.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Do you use PHOTOBUCKET?
http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50853
Go to Top of Page

mako_one

USA
716 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  22:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sailor is correct the amount of heat generated to weld that spot back could melt the jacket on the wires and eventually you could have a fire onboard or fry your electronic.

97 Mako 171/ 2012 Etec 115
Vero Beach, Fl.
1969 19 Mako Perdue
1969 13 Boston Whaler
Go to Top of Page

MomentSurf

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  05:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aluminum or Stainless T-Top? If no wires run through the spot where you are welding, you won't have a problem. Aluminum disperses the heat rather quickly. Tell the welder to wrap the tube with wet rags about a foot on either side of the weld. Also, tell him you will take full responsibility of any wires that melt or get damaged. If youre positive the wires are in a different part of the T-Top I wouldnt worry.

Edited by - MomentSurf on 09/04/2012 07:09:07
Go to Top of Page

draglink

USA
1046 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  06:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the wires dont run in the same pipe I think you are fine. I have had T-Tops repaired a few times without removing any wires...no issues. Now if they run in same pipe of course they need to be removed. The welder is just being cautious(good for him) tell him you will take responsibility if you decide to leave them.

'78 Wellcraft V20,200 Merc
'80 235-gone
'75 23 Inboard-gone
Hayes, Va

Go to Top of Page

warthog5
Wart

14547 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  07:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The answers are correct. Hope your not using Breeze Fab?

Ed Cox and I had problems with Tim Scallan.

I use Blue Coral Towers. See Rolen the owner and ask for Doug to do your work.
Go to Top of Page

OnGrade

252 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  07:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. There are not any wires that run through the broken piece, or within a 1.5' radius of the broken piece. I understand the melting issue, but just wanted to make sure I wasnt understanding why I needed to remove everything when it wasnt even near a wire.

"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.
Go to Top of Page

OnGrade

252 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  07:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I planned on blue coral or D&D. I Like blue coral, and they are awesome, but D&D will swing by my office and I have a little credit with them also. Haha!

"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.
Go to Top of Page

adaps

730 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  09:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he still insists on you removing the wires, don't worry too much about it. Go to your local electrical distributor, and buy a Kellems grip that will hold all of your wires in one grip. You will have to tape the end, so the wires don't come out. Just tie a string to the grip, pull the wires out, and then pull them back through when he is done. It is pretty simple to do with just string and tape too.

1986 Mako 21B - Clearwater,FL

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07