Custom Backlit Switch Panels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  07:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Boat owners on another forum suggested I come here and introduce myself.

My name is Roy, and Viking Panels has been fabricating custom, backlit switch panels for hotrods and offroad vehicles for some time. We have had requests for custom marine panels, so we began R&D in that area as well. Now, we're ready.

We can create a panel from a rough drawing or photos, or Viking can also copy your existing switch and gauge panels. After getting the initial information about your planned panel, we create a mechanical drawing, and upload it to a web-page made just for your project. You give us feedback. We adjust the drawing. You'll see exactly what you're getting before any money is spent.

All marine panels have backlit text. We use only Carling sealed toggle or rocker switches. Crimp and shrink terminals and tinned wire are all standard on the marine panels. Below are a few samples of what we can do. We can also create custom icons, if you have something special in mind. You can choose from a toughened outdoor acrylic, King Starboard, or G-10 composite.

Acrylic panels usually ship in 10-14 days. G-10 Panels ship in 14-21 days since they require additional steps in fabrication.

The are about 100 sample panels on the website. Most are for automobiles, but here is a link to the marine pages that we have ready. (under construction)

http://www.vikingpanels.com/marine_switch_control_panels.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for looking.

Roy

Custom Switch & Gauge Panels

Custom Switch and Gauge Panels

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/11/2013 07:55:25

OnGrade

258 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  16:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would be a rough price for a 7 switch with breakers? Say-12" long by 2.5" tall. I wouldn't need it back lit or the indicator lights, and the switches are already mounted to a fiberglass panel. I just don't care for what I have now. Not looking for an exact quote, just a ball park estimate. Say, nav/anchor, bilge 1, bilge 2, live well, raw water, fresh water, courtesy for the labeling.

1990 261 twin 2001 HPDI 200
"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  18:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I can fit seven switches and breakers in a 2.5" tall panel. That is a very short panel.

I'll play with a few designs, and update this thread later.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  20:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the drawing. The panel is so short that the opening cut-out is 2.3" tall. The panel itself is 2.5" x 11".

If this would work for you, I can work up a price.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

OnGrade

258 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  02:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill take an actual measurement this weekend and get back to you. I was just making a guess on the size.

"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.
Go to Top of Page

laxdad

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  12:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roy
I dont live too far from you. maybe 45 minutes. I'd like to stop by and check out your place and show you what I am looking for. Is that cool?
Dave

1995 232 Mako 250 hp Etec
Triple J
Ellicott City, MD; Fenwick Island, Del.
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  12:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

I don't have a problem with you coming by. My business address is also my home though, so please call before coming to confirm I'll be here. I can have materials and designs ready to show you.

However, I won't show the actual shop to anyone. I've done a lot of R&D on my CNC equipment and processes, and showing the shop would put the results of that research on display. It's certainly not meant to be an insult to you or anyone else. Please don't take it personally.

I made the mistake of training my competition in my last business. I won't risk doing that again.

Roy

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/12/2013 12:32:31
Go to Top of Page

SurfFishLife

25 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't already posted this on The Hull Truth, you should. I think you'd have to pay to be a sponsor, but I bet you would get tons of orders.

If you're lucky enough to be fishing, you're lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  12:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I just became a sponsor on the Hull Truth. Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like the rocker switch panels have the most interest. I'll add another eight or nine rocker-switch panel-designs to my website this coming week.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  13:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Ongrade",

If you can bump up to 3" tall, the panel looks a lot more "balanced".

Here's a pic:

Go to Top of Page

OnGrade

258 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  16:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey man, sorry about taking so long. the actual space I have to work with is 5 3/4" x 15". If you feel like working up a rough quote, I would be interested. Just kind of looking at options. Like I said above, I already have the switches and breakers wired in, it would just be a replacement pannel with labels. Could you also make it with two or three additional spots with like AUX or Accessory on them. I would like to add some underwater lights, deck lights, and maybe a pump out for the livewell.
If youd like to email the quote my email is jlee at uscofl dot com. thanks.

"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  18:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem on the delay.

An engraved acrylic panel 5.75" x 15" would be about $75 without backlit text. Powder-coated aluminum in that size would be about $125 without backlit text. Shipping is not included.

There's no additional charge for adding a few more switch openings and text.

Again. That's with no backlighting, switches or breakers included.

Thanks

Roy

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/15/2013 18:36:25
Go to Top of Page

Keven

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  13:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you get it to be backlit?

1981 15' Boston Whaler
Go to Top of Page

OnGrade

258 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  13:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks man! I might have to put an order in soon. I've looked at the website, but what all colors are avaiable? Is there a white with black lettering/icons?

"Leeway"
Gulf Breeze, FL.
Go to Top of Page

howell1641

USA
986 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  15:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Question is can you make the Mako Emblems(Plaquards)that many of us need? BTW Very nice work on the switch panels!!!!!!

Billy
1974 Mako23 CC Cuddy IO
Bellport Long Island NY
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=42355#319618

Edited by - howell1641 on 01/16/2013 16:02:10
Go to Top of Page

laxdad

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roy
Will you have a table at the Frederick MSSA flea market this weekend?

1995 232 Mako 250 hp Etec
Triple J
Ellicott City, MD; Fenwick Island, Del.
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  09:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keven

How do you get it to be backlit?

Sorry for the delay. I'm not sure how to subscribe to the threads, or if you can.

I use LEDs with a combination of multiple acrylic layers to diffuse the light evenly.

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  09:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OnGrade

Thanks man! I might have to put an order in soon. I've looked at the website, but what all colors are avaiable? Is there a white with black lettering/icons?

I can do white with black letters. I can also do white with red, burgundy, blue and green.

I need to see if I can backlight these combinations though. I already have samples in route to me.

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/20/2013 09:45:05
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  09:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by laxdad

Roy
Will you have a table at the Frederick MSSA flea market this weekend?

Sorry for the late reply. I will not be there. I don't have a display ready that would be appropriate for shows yet.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  09:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by howell1641

My Question is can you make the Mako Emblems(Plaquards)that many of us need? BTW Very nice work on the switch panels!!!!!!

I am working on that capability now. The software (and knowledge to use it)to convert logos and images to toolpaths for my CNC mill has quite a learning curve and is also expensive.

Roy

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/20/2013 09:40:46
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  14:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OnGrade

Here is a link to my panel-colors page.

http://www.vikingpanels.com/custom_switch_panel_colors.html

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  19:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is my best shot at a night photo. They look better than this in person. I may need to hire a photographer I guess. The lighting is perfectly even across all of the engraving.

Roy

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/21/2013 10:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  18:30:18  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

I thought I would post a couple of pics of the panel I'm finishing up. I finally have a decent night-photo.

I added indicator lamps to the panel because the Blue Sea toggles do not light. The tiny dots to the side of the switch are clear when the switch is off, and lighted in color when on. The dots have a faint glow at night when off, and are BRIGHT when on. I can also make the indicator lamps go out completely when off.

This is a powder-coated panel with toggle guards protecting the switches. This layout is a great way to squeeze a lot into a small space.

All switches are off in the night pic.

Thanks for looking.

Roy

Drawing:

Night Pic:

With " No Glow" indicator lamps:

Edited by - Viking Panels on 01/30/2013 19:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  16:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd post a photo or two of a little panel I just finished for a Boston Whaler. Customer requested that the backlighting turn on with the NAV-lights. The "dot" over the horn-switch is there just to make the panel symmetrical.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

Sailor
Social Chairman

USA
8467 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  18:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool. Can you stick on placards as well?

quote:
Originally posted by Viking Panels

I thought I'd post a photo or two of a little panel I just finished for a Boston Whaler. Customer requested that the backlighting turn on with the NAV-lights. The "dot" over the horn-switch is there just to make the panel symmetrical.

Roy

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Do you use PHOTOBUCKET?
http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50853
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  20:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working on placards now.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

19Mako73

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  16:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Roy the panels look great! I still owe you a package in the mail. Everything fit like a glove when I installed the gauges. Looking forward to doing more business with you.

Here is a pic of your gauge panels they match great..
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  17:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 19Mako73

Hey Roy the panels look great! I still owe you a package in the mail. Everything fit like a glove when I installed the gauges. Looking forward to doing more business with you.

Here is a pic of your gauge panels they match great..

Glad you're happy with them.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

ddd222

800 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  22:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
might be looking to replace the factory fuse switch panel on my 241, that was a deep recessed panel, have any refits of a 88-94 241 or 261? Had a new sunbrella cover made so might not need the deep recess that was original, but certainly a breaker panel instead of fuses would be mandatory
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  13:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddd222

might be looking to replace the factory fuse switch panel on my 241, that was a deep recessed panel, have any refits of a 88-94 241 or 261? Had a new sunbrella cover made so might not need the deep recess that was original, but certainly a breaker panel instead of fuses would be mandatory

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I don't have that template on file, but if you send me your old recessed panel, I can certainly use that as a template. If you would like to email a photo and a description of the changes you would like to the panel, I'll be happy to give you a quote.

info@vikingpanels.com

Thanks

Roy

Edited by - Viking Panels on 02/23/2013 13:35:34
Go to Top of Page

ddd222

800 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  22:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will get some pictures to you, with dimensions, original was recessed to keep out of the elements, good idea but not really necessary now with the cover if the rear end of the switch fit, or original cut out could be opened a little
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  11:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just finished another, and grabbed a photo of this one. This was for a Blackfin. The top of the panel is hidden under the helm, so I moved the text to the bottom. The breakers are heavy, and the panel-mounting screws are close to the edge because of the tight clearance. So, I decided not to countersink the screws into the panel. I added new 316 stainless hardware to all components. I also added indicator "dots" to show when the switches are on.

Before:

After:

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  21:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finished another.

Go to Top of Page

Triplecrownnc
Big Dave

USA
10443 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  04:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work

David, New Kent, Va

Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21067
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  11:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by triplecrownnc

Very nice work

Thanks.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

Titan_boat

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  06:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what forms of payment do you accept, I am designing a small panel for my Mako and one for my '73 FJ40. was going to go thru IH8MUD,but i'll go from here..Thanks. Steve

TBGLLC

1992 -26 Celebrity
1972 -19' Mako 150 Suz.
old fj40....
Ocean Isle Beach,NC
Go to Top of Page

Jeff258

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  06:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Jeff258's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Titan_boat

what forms of payment do you accept, I am designing a small panel for my Mako and one for my '73 FJ40. was going to go thru IH8MUD,but i'll go from here..Thanks. Steve

Roy is working on one for my 258 right now and it was kind of like any other online store. He put my custom panel up on his site, I added it to my cart, and then I checked out with my credit card.

So great to see that I'm not the only one that is dealing with these two obsessions. I'm Jeffj40 on mud. Working on a '79 now. Keep telling myself that this is the last one.

1982 Mako 258
New Egypt, NJ/Barnegat, NJ

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46716
Go to Top of Page

Titan_boat

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  16:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, i'm screwed..two obsessions, one more and the US govt will deem me unstable and confiscate my 3rd obsession..Firearms.UGH.

TBGLLC

1992 -26 Celebrity
1972 -19' Mako 150 Suz.
old fj40....
Ocean Isle Beach,NC
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  21:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Titan_boat

Hi,

I take all major credit cards.

I love my Toyota as well. I'm on my fourth Toyota Pickup, a 1986 ExtraCab. I'm never selling this one. It gets a makeover this year.

Roy

Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  19:37:57  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd show a couple of panels I just finished.

Edited by - Viking Panels on 04/20/2013 19:43:20
Go to Top of Page

Viking Panels

29 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  19:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Viking Panels's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07