mako pro 17 skiff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skiffaroo

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  10:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has any one been able to figure out how the water is getting in the hull on the 2012 Mako pro 17 skiff and why the live well aerator pump won't pump, it runs but doesn't pump.
Bass pro put a plastic scoop over the inlet and changed the pump. Still doesn't work.
They also said the hull shouldn't take on water but it does.
If they can't fix it I was thinking of sealing the edge where the deck liner is riveted on the hull all around the gunwale.

meant to put Texas skiffaroo as user name

mako_one

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  11:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would seal where teh cap meets the hull. As far as the pump goes is there a valve somewhere that maybe closed? How about disconnecting the hose from the pump to the well and put a water hose up to it and pressurize. there might be something clogging the line somewhere.

97 Mako 171/ 2012 Etec 115
Vero Beach, Fl.
Go to Top of Page

skiffaroo

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  11:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mako_one

I would seal where teh cap meets the hull. As far as the pump goes is there a valve somewhere that maybe closed? How about disconnecting the hose from the pump to the well and put a water hose up to it and pressurize. there might be something clogging the line somewhere.

Thanks for your reply. With garden hose water goes through and increases when pump is turned on, just doesn't work when on the water.
It's down deep enough. Tried going forward and backward to prime. Still no luck. Water goes through when putting boat in the water at ramp, fills live well 1/3 but won't pump water in. This is with the new pump last week.

Go to Top of Page

joebucko

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  00:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to the www.2coolfishing.com site and check out this thread:
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=407563
Lots of Mako Pro Skiff owners. If you go the about page 50-51 you will see a current discussion of the water in the hull issue. Also lots of posts on the livewell pump issue. I have had my Pro17 for a year and haven't experienced any issues but am curious about the water in hull subject because short of a live well hose leaking or hull crack I can't imagine how water could even get in.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

skiffaroo

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  20:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joebucko

Go to the www.2coolfishing.com site and check out this thread:
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=407563
Lots of Mako Pro Skiff owners. If you go the about page 50-51 you will see a current discussion of the water in the hull issue. Also lots of posts on the livewell pump issue. I have had my Pro17 for a year and haven't experienced any issues but am curious about the water in hull subject because short of a live well hose leaking or hull crack I can't imagine how water could even get in.
Good luck

Thanks for your reply. You are right there is a lot of discussion and no solution.
The web sites you posted is what made me shake my boat and look at my wannabe yeti cooler that is not fully insulated.
Hold a bright light up to the cooler walls and bottom or hold it up to the sun in your garage and you may be surprised at the size of the voids.
My skiff has been at Bass Pro since last Monday on all the afore mentioned issues and none have been resolved.
I live an hour away and have made polite personal visits instead of pesty phone calls. Today I was told They have decided to replace the 500gpm pump with a 800gpm. Sounds like a lot maybe I got the initials wrong.
No answers on the hull. they are injecting foam into the cooler a little at a time because it is the slow release kind. If you remove the rubber pads on the bottom four corners of the cooler there will be three holes at each one where they inject the foam.
Like most fishermen we are self reliant and don't like being dependent on others. Bass Pro has been good in saying they will take care of this even though the warranty on the boat alone is one year. Just short on solutions. Hoping to find other 2012 skiff owners that have found solutions to these issues. Looking for the best fix so I can go safely boating.
All the above having been said this is the most stable small boat I've ever owned. I can skim across the water like a bird.

Go to Top of Page

skiffaroo

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  10:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow up on 2012 mako pro 17 skiff.
Got the skiff back from Bass Pro Friday and took it to the lake.
Went out to the middle for clean water and turned on the aerator.
Same as before, new 800gph motor was humming away but no water coming in live well. Tried going forward and backward slow like I was told and no water.
Called the tech and he said to get up on plane while pump is running, just what the manual tells you not to do.
Getting up on plane didn't help, but when I stopped the back wash pushed the air out and the pump worked fine. Let it run to check on and off timing. It ran for one minute every three minutes.
Now that I have it working, don't know if I want to leave it on if I was drift fishing for any length of time and would be running down the battery. Might operate it manually and find out how often shrimp or minnows need to be aerated. Or fill it and use my little battery operated pump. Live well isn't very big any way.
Pulled the skiff out and while it was on the ramp opened the bottom plug for the hull and no water came out and none sloshing in the hull.
Bass Pro said they hadn't done anything to the hull because they found no voids to fill on the outside and the console was caulked in at all screws and openings.
Must be when I'm washing the boat it is getting in some where.
Was told there are not a lot of voids inside to fill up with much water and could never take on enough to sink or slow down the skiff.
So thanks to Bass Pro I'm going to stop worrying about any thing and go catching.

Edited by - skiffaroo on 08/04/2013 10:42:38
Go to Top of Page

shoreboy6

3 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  10:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a 2013 model but it won't be ready for pick up until the weekend. Does anyone know if the 2 defects in the 2012 model were corrected on the 2013 model?
Go to Top of Page

skiffaroo

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  17:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shoreboy6

I just bought a 2013 model but it won't be ready for pick up until the weekend. Does anyone know if the 2 defects in the 2012 model were corrected on the 2013 model?

While I was picking up my 2012 skiff at Bass Pro they showed me a 2013 and what they would do to mine if the pump did not work.
On the 2013 they installed the aerator pump on the starboard side of the rear transom where it can be set lower and they say it works no problem.
If yours doesn't work when you put in the water I'm sold now on what the tech told me about air in the lines, and remember all that water drains out when you pull the boat out or get on plane because it is at the bottom of the skiff and the aerator valve is uphill from there going to the live well in the consol. Just get up to about 2000 rpms with the aerator button on manual and slow down quickly and it pushes the air out and it should work. Just remember to unscrew the spray valve inside the aerator at least halfway before you do this so water can get in.
If you don't want water coming in the live well when you are putting the skiff in at the ramp close the valve all the way clockwise.
When I started this conversation I was clueless, Now after reading this over I sound like a damn expert.
You would think as long as Mako has been in the boat business they could have designed the live well a little better in the beginning and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I think they did a good design on the hull and I think this skiff would run just as well for some one not in a hurry and not carrying too many people in the boat with a 40hp Mine is a Mercury 60hp four stroke and I am on plane at 3500 and flying at 4000, went up to 5000 on a smooth lake one day and that was way to fast for me in this skiff, it was steady and flying over the water. Just wanted to see what it would do and that was enough for me, it would have done 6000 and wasn't working hard. Good on gas I got the other 6gal tank for when I go to the bay, can troll all day for a week on 6 gal on the lake..

Go to Top of Page

shoreboy6

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  12:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know skiffaroo, thanks. I'm picking mine up Saturday so should be on the water Saturday afternoon or Sunday. I got the 60hp Merc on mine as well. I don't plan on using the livewell that often but it would be nice for it to work as it should.
Go to Top of Page

shoreboy6

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  12:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with everyone complaining about the same couple of issues, I have not heard a negative report about the skiff's ride. That is what sold me on it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07