Fuel Tank Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IanMac5873

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  18:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I removed all the old corroded wiring and bus bars today as part of my winter plan for my new to me mako 20. The past owner had put the battery switch on top of the inspection hatch for the fuel tank so I had not been able to open it prior to today. There is a lot of slime on top of the tank however it has no smell whatsoever. The marina where it had been kept previously polished the fuel and "tested" the tank in May of 2012 and claimed it was in good shape. My question is how do I proceed? I was hoping to avoid pulling the console and the tank lid but will do if necessary.

Ian
1987 Mako 20
Jamestown, RI

absolute

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  18:40:39  Show Profile  Visit absolute's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A heavy dose of sun light will help clean up the growth.

Absolute

"suckin sludge & havin a gas"
Go to Top of Page

brando
Calendar Man

USA
4006 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  20:29:13  Show Profile  Visit brando's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as how to proceed it all depends how detailed you want to be. I can't imagine them being able to test it without pulling it. There is lots of tank rehabs on this site. You can find them on project links at the bottom of sig pics. Mine looked liked yours when I first inspected it. The core on the hatch was wet, hatch wasnt sealed, which caused to black slime on top of the tank. This then allowed water to get around the tank. My tank was fine as far as not leaking but definitely was compromised and it was best to replace.

1984 Mako 238 WA
200 Suzuki
Mercersburg PA/Ocean City MD
Check out my project
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081

Go to Top of Page

DukeS

513 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  21:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with Brando, slime on top of the tank means water has gotten to the foam around the tank, and wet foam against the tank metal is where the problems arise. so now or later, you will need to deal with replacing the tank and making the new one more water resistant.

Richard Snyder
Gulf Breeze, FL

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f23/mako-171-winter-project-103095/
Go to Top of Page

IanMac5873

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  22:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your responses. I guess I will dive in! I know a lot of people have mentioned using FL Marine Tanks but I am wondering if it would be worth talking to New England Boat Works (20 min away from me) who advertises custom tank fabrication. Anything else I should plan to do while the tank is out?

Ian
1987 Mako 20
Jamestown, RI
Go to Top of Page

brando
Calendar Man

USA
4006 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  22:36:11  Show Profile  Visit brando's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IanMac5873

thanks for your responses. I guess I will dive in! I know a lot of people have mentioned using FL Marine Tanks but I am wondering if it would be worth talking to New England Boat Works (20 min away from me) who advertises custom tank fabrication. Anything else I should plan to do while the tank is out?

FL marine tank who built the tanks for Mako. I priced them but Sunshine tanks in Florida was less money. Talk to Gina or Gina and they will hook you up. You can't work with nicer people. I live in PA and got quotes from FL, AL, NY, MD, and NJ and sunshine gave me a better built tank including shipping to PA. You won't regret using them.

Once you get the tank out, remove the coffin, build a bulkhead between the stringers to close off the bilge area from the tank area. Possibly one forward too. All new hoses , fill, vent, and pickup. You will need 4# density foam....all in all about a $2K repair

1984 Mako 238 WA
200 Suzuki
Mercersburg PA/Ocean City MD
Check out my project
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081

Edited by - brando on 11/13/2013 22:36:47
Go to Top of Page

leinad624

USA
5138 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  09:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my tank from sunshine and like Brandon said you can't beat their service!Figure about $10.00 per gallon.

Daniel
Loranger,LA
Go to Top of Page

IanMac5873

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  11:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Don't know what I would do without this site.

Ian
1987 Mako 20
Jamestown, RI
Go to Top of Page

Triplecrownnc
Big Dave

USA
10318 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  07:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on pulling the tank, I cant think of anyone who had a tank that looked like that and regretted pulling it.

I used Sunshine tanks as well. I saved on shipping by them sending it to a business address rather than a personal address if you can manage that.

David, New Kent, Va

Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21067
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07